Independence Dizzle

Sunday, July 5, 2009
Happy belated July 4th, my kiddies!

I spent the weekend in my favorite drive-through state, Connecticut. It was a weekend filled with boozing, beaching, and all other sorts of nonsense. Though I almost didn't go, in the end, I'm glad I did because sometimes, you just need to get away from the bars and party at a house in the boonies with tons of other crazy people and no cell phone reception.

The weekend also returned some of my faith in people's desire to party. While I'm usually of the opinion that people become lame when they get in relationships and extra lame when they get married, such was not the case. There were very few of us single folk around but the partying was by no means hampered because of it. Somewhere around midnight last night, I was sitting in a chair on the top floor of a 2 story barn, watching 4 ex-fraternity brothers play the most heavily regimented version of beirut I've ever seen. I was alternating between waving an American flag and dancing in my seat with a croquet mallet, the guy sitting next to me had located a fake Christmas tree and plugged in the lights attached to it, the 4 beer pongers were beyond inappropriate in their trash talking and attempts to distract each other, and a 4 month old puppy was running around.

Downstairs, our ice luge 3.0, which had gone through multiple phases over the prior 24 hours and which ended in an engineered funnel and straw system that ran through what was left of the ice block, had melted away from too many Patron shots running down it. An hour earlier, as I rummaged through a cooler of Miller High Life screaming something I never thought I would hear myself say ("WHY IS THERE NO NATTY LIGHT LEFT!?!?"), one of the partygoers, a married man whose poor pregnant wife was sleeping at a bed and breakfast, was drunkenly trying to scale the outside of the barn and climb into the second floor. He slipped, fell flat on his back, then got up and rejoined the party, unscathed. The point is, it was a good time.

When we weren't partying in the barn, we were at the beach, both at night to watch fireworks and during the day to swim, kayak, and, if you're me, get a horrible sunburn despite multiple sunblock applications.

Despite my 3 hour nap when I got home today, I'm still exhausted from the overall too much partying, too much sun, and my few precious moments of sleep being interrupted by other forms of drunken hilarity that I won't go into. Tomorrow, my life of leisure goes away temporarily as I actually have a temp assignment to go to for the next 2 days. Wa. Hoo.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

CT has it's good places. I live in RI. It's all boonies here!

Sounds like you had a great time. :D

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?