I've mentioned this before, but I consider myself an expert on the multitude of options for traveling between New York and Boston. I've been making the trip on a fairly regular basis for the 5 years since I graduated college, and that doesn't even include the many times I did it during college. The best most amazing wonderful fabulous thing about graduating from b-school next month and peacing out of here is the fact that, for the first time in 9 years, I will have no reason to come back in the foreseeable future. The fact of the matter is, I am sick and tired of this short yet often painful journey. Every time I head to NYC, as I did this past weekend, I'm excited for what awaits me, yet a part of me dies inside from the very thought of getting on the bus.
Here is a list of things about traveling that I am excited to not have to deal with anymore, excluding even the ridiculous debacle from last month. These are pretty much all related to buses since that's what I do most frequently, but I am more than happy to complain about trains and planes too on request. =)
1) Broken wifi. My laptop is heavy and when the wifi promised to me doesn't work on my bus trip, it turns my computer into dead weight and my intention of being a productive student to crap.
2) Seat buddies who, even if they probably weigh no more than 100 pounds, somehow find a way to not be able to stay within their own seat and encroach on my space.
3) Phone conversations I'm not interested in. Today on the bus I learned that Amber is available to work the Stonyfield job on Sunday if they still need her to. She told this to at least 6 different people in whatever office she was calling.
4) Delays. Waiting for an hour and a half in the dead of winter for a bus that never shows up is fun. Not.
5) Stopping at a rest stop an hour from Boston. SO many bus companies insist on stopping at one of the various rest stops available to us at the tip of Massachusetts. This is annoying on the way to New York because hello, we haven't been on the bus that long, and it's annoying on the way back because hello, we're almost there just get me home already. There's a bathroom on the bus for anyone who needs it and all travelers should know to bring their own snacks.
6) People who talk to me. Do I look friendly? Do I give off the impression of caring that you're going to a bachelorette party? Well, I don't. Leave me alone.
7) Drivers who like to mix it up and take the most traffictastic routes through Manhattan. Note to all drivers: shockingly, Times Square traffic moves at the pace of molasses at rush hour.
8) Lack of temperature controls. I do not like being hot and I do not like being cold. Sadly, I don't often get the opportunity to be somewhere in the middle.
9) Overhead lights that don't work. I used to carry a flashlight with me for just such an occasion. Now I just try to travel during the day.
10) People who get on the bus while sick. Yes, I would love to listen to you sniffle or cough up a lung every 5 seconds, not to mention that I would also love to actually take your illness with me when I leave this bus.
I'm going to stop because I'm getting aggravated just writing this. However, it does bring me some comfort that I won't be getting back on that bus for 6 glorious weeks. Hell. Yes.
3 comments:
First, an early congrats on finishing grad school! So awesome.
Secondly, I have to comment on #6. You do give that vibe of "friend me!" Its a calming prescense.
Could not agree more on having to listen to other people's loud phone conversations.
In fact, I don't even need to get on a BUS to do that. Noisy Flatmate's phone conversations come through my bedroom wall on a regular basis - the worrying thing is, i don't think that she's yelling. I think that's her idea of talking normally. And her conversations are BORING!
when J and I lived in New York, we thought it would be a cool experience to take the Amtrak train to Wisconsin for the holidays, beat out on flight prices, travel traffic, etc. Never again. There is a reason it is cheap and 30 hours on a train is only half of it. Screaming children who think it's fun to run up and down the tight aisles while punching the seats, the sickly smell of warm food (that isn't supposed to be warm), the disgusting bathrooms with little flush power, the aggravatingly uncomfortable seats...it's like being on a plane, but for 30 hours non-stop. Stupid. It was an experience alright, and one I'm never doing again. (Oh, they failed to mention that our train was scheduled to go south through Kentucky before heading up to Wisconsin, so it could have been a much more bearable 14 hour trip).
Post a Comment
What's on your mind?