Why yes, I AM wearing a moustache
At a point that seems like forever ago but was probably somewhere closer to 6 months ago, my friend tweeted about wanting to do the Color Run. I replied that it looked insanely fun but that my bad knee prevented me from running. Not just now, but forever and always.
After some back and forths with my friend and some research on the
Color Run, I realized that the run is extremely non-competitive and that
they don't care if you walk. Or cartwheel. Or crawl. It's about getting
covered in paint, not racing. So I collected a team, waited a few more
months, and finally, this past Saturday, went to the far reaches of
Brooklyn, decked in white and ready to more or less become a rainbow.
My whole team was planning on walking, but when we were released
from the starting line we were so full of adrenaline that we all broke
into a jog. We all kind of looked around at each other and said, "Are we
doing this?" I said I would run as long as my knee held up. Since I
sometimes get shooting pains in my leg just from darting across the
street to avoid getting hit by cars, I didn't think I would last too
long.
3.1 miles later we jogged across the finish line covered in pink,
purple, yellow, orange and green, having taken a few brief walking breaks
to take pictures, collect lost teammates, or lay down in the paint to
make sure our backs were fully covered.
My knee felt...fine. Sure, it's pretty swollen now so I probably
won't go running ever again (or at least not until the next Color Run), but that's
not the point.
The point, friends, is that the last time I ran 3 miles was in
2005. The reason I stopped running is because I was in ridiculous amounts of
pain and went to see my knee doctor, who reminded me that my ACL/MCL
surgery in 1999 left me with no cartilage in my knee and "Do not run, at
all, ever. Unless you absolutely have to. And don't take stairs. If
there's an escalator, use it. Otherwise you're going to get arthritis
before you turn 30." So I listened. I don't run and I don't take stairs.
And in the 7 years since then I've just grown accustomed to the thought
that running is something that I absolutely cannot do.
While the pain I'm in right now reminds me that running is clearly something I SHOULDN'T do, using "can't" as the operative word is just flat out incorrect. I CAN run. And there's a big difference between saying that something isn't a great idea and saying that something is flat out impossible. Because while I realize that 3 miles isn't exactly a long distance, if you had asked me before this race whether or not my knee would hold up for that duration I would have told you with 100% certainty that it would not.
This makes me wonder about what other negative stories I've told myself over the years - ways in which I've convinced myself that I'm incapable or not good enough, when in fact this may not be true at all.
I remember one specific incident in February of this year. I scored some free tickets to a pre-Superbowl party sponsored by Maxim. I was pretty excited to get comped entry to a party with OPEN BAR, but I was also not really looking forward to all the hot Maxim models that would be running around. The friend I took with me to the party thought I was being ridiculous for saying that I wasn't hot enough to go to an event like this, but I truly believed that to be the case.
Obviously I WAS being ridiculous. Because first of all, that night would probably go in my top ten most fun nights out I've had in New York ever, and second of all, WHAT THE FUCK. Like, who makes these horrible self-deprecating comments about themselves?
I think what I've realized is that I need to stop with the whole negative self-talk. It isn't doing me any favors because no one finds self-deprecation all that attractive unless you're doing it for comedy (like Tina Fey in Bossypants - genius).
There are going to be a crapload of people that are going to bring you down. Maybe your significant other doesn't treat you as well as you deserve, maybe your coworker is trying to make you look bad in front of your boss. Plenty of people in life will tell you you aren't good enough.
Don't be one of them.
**This is my new series called Stratejoy Monday. To learn more about all this goodness, see the first 5 months of my Stratejoy journey here.
**This is my new series called Stratejoy Monday. To learn more about all this goodness, see the first 5 months of my Stratejoy journey here.

3 comments:
That book is genus. I love this post and your comments at the end because it is 100% true. You are good enough and gorgeous enough to do anything. I think so, so clearly, I am right :) xoxo
I'm so happy for you!! you are most definitely one of the most interesting and funny individuals I know, 'virtually.' I struggle with the same kind of self-talk that I sometimes have to literally yell at myself to make it all stop. which part of that previous sentence is sadder? gah.
Well said.
Also, I have to say, I've been dying to run one of those Color Runs. Looks like wicked fun.
Post a Comment
What's on your mind?