It's true, I did. But in keeping with my previously stated preferences, I do NOT post my foursquare shit on Twitter. So there.
Here's how it all went down.
A few weekends ago, Jess was visiting NYC. We were sitting at a bar enjoying a delicious beverage, and Jess was fiddling with something on her phone. And then she said, "Oh, Foursquare says I've been to a bar every week for the past 4 weeks!"
And that was all it took.
"I didn't know Foursquare tells you those things! I bet I've been to a bar every week for like, the past 2 years!"
I joined right then and there. And since then, I've been checking in all over the place, earning badges and awaiting the time when I've been around long enough for Foursquare to tell me how many weeks in a row I've been to bars. It's going to be magical.
The one thing that makes me sad though is when things don't seem quite accurate. For instance, today I earned the "I'm on a boat!" badge by checking in to the mall at the South Street Seaport. While there are definitely boats in the immediate vicinity, the mall is certainly not one of them. I feel that this badge wasn't properly earned.
In an even more egregious badge error, last week I checked into Michael's, the arts and crafts store. And my phone said, "Congratulations, you've earned the Animal House badge by going to 3 different fratastic bars." This, despite the fact that it also told me that was my first check in at a crafts store, so it clearly knew I wasn't at a bar.
Look, Foursquare, Michael's is the least fratty place I can possibly think of. Get your shit together.
Finally, one thing I haven't quite figured out if Foursquare does (help?) is give me a history of where I've been. For instance, can it tell me the 3 fratty bars I've checked into that helped me earn the Animal House badge? Or the 3 places with a photo booth I've been to that enabled me to get the Photogenic badge or whatever it's called? Because I love data and I NEED MORE OF IT.
Clearly I'm very excited about this new addition to my life.
4 comments:
I'm so happy that you're staying with this. I thoroughly enjoy getting those updates, especially when you couldn't find cherries. Sadly, it's not a perfect system but will just keep getting better. And you better screenshot when you get that bar notification.
I have resisted Foursquare thus far. I do get a bit jealous of everyone being mayor of this place or that, but hey-ho. I've got enough social media addictiveness with Twitter on my plate at the moment.
My Animal House badge was earned in a similar manner at Target or World Market. I like getting badges so I can't complain but I definitely didn't earn it.
What are you talking about, Michael's is all about keg stands and togas!
I'm not on Foursquare, though the husband is. I like it because it makes our life sound more exciting than it really is.
Post a Comment
What's on your mind?