I don't actually make New Year's resolutions because...well, for a variety of reasons, really. But somehow over the last month or so, possibly coinciding around the start of 2011, I made a new...life resolution. Well, it's sort of two related ones.
1. Do more things outside my comfort zone (like, try out for a tackle football team).
2. Try more new things/don't make dumb excuses to not do things I've been curious about.
So for example, back in December I saw that Linkin Park was coming to Madison Square Garden in February. I delayed in buying tickets because I'm a moron, and then when I finally tried to buy a pair, they had none left. At first I was bummed because I wouldn't be able to go, and then I decided that I just REALLY wanted to see them and if it meant going alone, so be it. So a few weeks ago I went to the concert solo, and it was fabulous. And really, why was I nervous about going to a concert alone in the first place? Never again.
Doing things alone is definitely a big part of my new resolution. I'm probably more comfortable doing things by myself than most people I know, but I still have a ways to go.
As another example, over the summer some friends and I were talking about going to a shooting range. Or more like, I was talking about going to a shooting range and they were willing to indulge me. "Organize a trip," they said. And I failed to do so because apparently there's nowhere in NYC where you can shoot a handgun without a license and like 6 months of training or something like this. Rifles do not excite me. However, when I saw a Groupon for the rifle range, I decided to take advantage because rifles are better than nothing and emailed all my peeps. And...no one wanted to go.
(Dear everyone: I hate when you do stuff like that. If you're not interested, just say so from jump, please)
Anyway, so I was all, "FINE I will go alone." And then I tried to buy it and deal was sold out. Wah.
Then another deal for the same place popped up on yet another Groupon site (PS I hope everyone else also uses "Groupon" in a generic sense much like other people use "Band-aid" or "kleenex") and I did not hesitate to buy it. So whenever I do that, it will encompass not only doing things outside my comfort zone, but also trying something I'm interested in and not letting dumb excuses get in the way.
My quest to be more adventurous has led me to buy all sorts of Groupons to the point where I'm banning myself from purchasing any more for the time being (unless something REALLY GREAT) comes up. Still yet to be put into use: 3 tennis lessons, a trampoline class (!!!!), a high fall stunt class (jumping 3 stories onto an air bag? OKAY YES PLEASE), Muay Thai boxing classes, a day with a personal shopper, and...too much more. I'm also starting a month of bikram yoga soon, and when all my other sporty things are over and I've moved into NYC, I'm going to start adult gymnastics classes so I can try to get my tumbly skillz back.
I also have some more ideas in the works for fun things I want to try, but more on that if/when they happen.
I'm excited about my new exciting life!
3 comments:
I would have gone to the Linkin Park concert with you. AND I would have gone and shot guns with you. Me > your NY friends.
Way to go on the concert! That sounds like fun and I'm glad you had fun! I can't wait to hear what's coming up!
That's awesome. I remember the first time I went to a movie by myself... it was great. I'm glad you're pushing yourself to do those things - I wish I knew about the shooting range (did I know?) you could have done the shooting/drinking one with us.
I keep trying to push myself to... follow through on things I said yes to in the first place. I only limit myself, and more than likely piss off the people I'm flaking out on. You included. :) It's been going pretty well so far.
P.S. remind me to sign up for yoga again. And I am jealous you signed up for the trampoline thing!!
Post a Comment
What's on your mind?