I'm something of a social coordinator. I like to keep up with what's going on in NYC and I pretty frequently send out emails, to anywhere between 1 and 30 people, trying to see who wants to join me for what (note to my friends: for every email I send there are at least 2 things I decide not to try to organize so be thankful I don't send MORE than I already do).
In actuality, I'm kind of the worst social coordinator ever, because only a small percentage of my grand plans turn into anything. It's not so much that the things I want to do aren't fun (heavens no!) or that my friends aren't fun (except sometimes that IS true, nerds), so much as I find it more or less impossible to get in touch with some people.
The problem? People have stopped reading emails.
You know who still uses the phone? My grandma. And no one else. (Note to self: call Grandma tomorrow, it's been too long)
I am a pro-emailer. I email like nobody's business. I see an email, I take care of whatever needs to be done in it, I respond in a timely fashion if necessary, and delete that shit so it's out of inbox out of mind.
Not everyone is as good as I am at email and to those people, I say: HOW THE CRAP DO I GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU?!?
At my dodgeball game last week, I asked my friend if she was coming to Bootie NYC. She had no idea what I was talking about.
"Dude, I sent two emails about it."
"Oh..umm...yeah I'm bad at reading emails."
WHAT THE F. I mean, I'm just at a total loss.
Look, everyone. I'm not going to call you. I hate talking on the phone most of the time. And especially if I'm trying to get in touch with multiple people, or I want to talk to you regarding something way in the future, it makes zero sense for me to call. Or text message. I email. And so does everyone else. IF YOU DO NOT READ EMAILS, IT MAKES IT HARD FOR ME TO BE YOUR FRIEND.
I remember over the summer sending an email to some people about lord knows what, and a week after the event I got this response: "Oh sorry, I didn't see this because I don't check my email when grad school isn't in session."
At that point I pretty much just up and died because did that REALLY happen?!? Yes, apparently it did.
How is it that in a world where we have more ways to get in touch than ever, where it is becoming increasingly more difficult to disconnect for even a hot second, that it is somehow also becoming more difficult to get in front of people? Do I have to somehow get a Youtube video of myself to go viral in order to get everyone to get the messages I want them to get? Because really, as awesome as I am, I just don't see the rest of the world being that into me sitting in front of a camera going, "Guys, there's a crazy dance party in Brooklyn on Saturday and we should go. Also, one hour of open vodka bar and if we get there before 10 it's only $5. YES I KNOW IT'S BROOKLYN BUT SERIOUSLY IT'LL BE FUN PLEASE LET'S GO OKAY THANKS."
Blah. Friends, help me help you...do awesome stuff in New York. Okay? Okay.
4 comments:
I'm not a phone person but i tend to organise my social life either through facebook or text message. Or (very occasionally) twitter. I have become a bad emailer. Please don't hate me.
Eep I am really bad at emails. I really try to reply right away or catch up on the bus but I forget. In fact, I have one from you I haven't responded to yet. Sorry.
I agree with every single thing you said here. Lets get married.
I too am a guilty party here. I am full of remorse (and unread emails). :P
Post a Comment
What's on your mind?