Because it's been too long since I've posted about Glee

Thursday, January 27, 2011
As we all know, I am pretty much pro-Glee all the time. But seeing as I'm sort of an adult and can look at things critically, I'm able to look past my insane obsession and recognize its faults. If I were 17 and not 27 I'm pretty sure I'd think Glee was capable of doing no wrong. I was stupid when I was 17.

Proof: The day I got into college, I was pulling into my school's parking lot on my way back from lunch, and I saw my friend Rebekah. I was so excited to share the good news that I found a parking space, leapt out of my car and ran over to her. Afterward I went back to my car to get my backpack, and I realized that I had locked myself out of my car. With the keys in the ignition. While the car was running. Thanks, Tufts, for not post-rejecting me. Anyway, I digress.

The thing about Glee, as much as I love it dearly, is that sometimes the music just flat out sucks. In fact, a few weeks ago Lacey and I were wandering around Toys R Us (don't ask), and she commented that sometimes Glee sounds like Kidz Bop, and I have to agree.

So I've compiled a few lists of Glee songs. They are in no particular order, FYI.

8 Glee Songs Which, I'm Sorry to Say, Totally Butchered the Original Into A Million Sad Little Pieces
1. Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler. BLECH. GARBAGE. AWFUL.
2. Somebody to Love - Queen. I know this is one of Glee's most popular songs. I used to like it until I re-listened to the original. The Glee version strips this song of all emotion.
3. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen. It's not that I think you can't touch Queen so much as this SUCKED.
4. Gold Digger - Kanye West. Note to Matthew Morrison: you are super sexy but please do not rap ever again.
5. Baby One More Time - Britney Spears. This was actually painful to listen to. Quite possibly the worst Glee song ever.
6. Empire State of Mind - Jay-Z, Alicia Keys. Puck - please see #4. That goes for you too.
7. One - U2.
8. Another One Bites the Dust - Queen. Okay, yup, another Queen song. Sorry.


8 Glee Songs Where the Originals Were Undeniably Awesome and Hard to Match but Where Glee Did A Very Respectable Job
1. River Deep, Mountain High - Tina Turner. SAY WHAT YOU WANT. It's Tina, I know. But Glee totally rocked it and I don't even currrr.
2. I Wanna Hold Your Hand - The Beatles. Amazing. That's all.
3. Hello, I Love You - The Doors. Finn was hot singing this. WORK IT.
4. Like a Prayer - Madonna
5. Bad Romance - Lady Gaga. Love the mix of voices on this one
6. Valerie - Amy Winehouse. Amy has a crazy ass voice but Santana did a pretty good job on this.
7. Start Me Up - Rolling Stones/Livin On a Prayer - Bon Jovi. This mashup was fabulous.
8. Proud Mary - Ike and Tina Turner. What can I say? Glee likes Tina.

10 Glee Songs Where Glee Dominated the Original
1. Hate On Me - Jill Scott. I just like Mercedes' voice better than Jill Scott's. Wham.
2. The Only Exception - Paramore. I'm biased because I hate Paramore. WHATEVER.
3. Dream On - Aerosmith. 3 words: Neil. Patrick. Harris.
4. Just the Way You Are - Bruno Mars. So adorable. I loved this whole episode.
5. The Dog Days Are Over - Florence and the Machine. TINA! Killed it.
6. Teenage Dream - Katy Petty. This is a no brainer because I hate Katy Perry and the Glee version was sung by an a cappella group from Tufts. WIN.
7. 4 Minutes - Madonna/Justin Timberlake. Mercedes as Justin and Kurt as Madonna? Yes, please.
8. Faithfully - Journey. I almost couldn't bear to put this down since I'm not crazy about the rest of what Glee has done to Journey, BUT..I must give credit where credit is due.

5 comments:

Lacey Bean said...

I like the Total Eclipse of the Heart cover. I hated most of the Rocky Horror covers. Were NOT ok. Oh and Baby Hit Me DEFINITELY sucked. And Lea Michele can't dance.

P said...

Personally I HATED Lea Michele's version of The Only Exception. But I DO Like Paramore so maybe that's why. Otherwise, I agree with most of your choices.

thatShortchick said...

A few months ago, I read in some magazine (or maybe online article) about the comparison of Kidz Bop to Glee and I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET THAT OUT OF MY HEAD. Any rap song covered by any of the glee kids, automatically goes on my "dislike" list. However, Chris Colfer's take on " I want to hold your hand" slays me every time. also, I loved kristin c & matthew morrison's duet of "fire."

Jessica (Bayjb) said...

I agree, there are some songs they pick that suck and performances that fall very short too. I agree with your lists, although I didn't think the Empire State of Mind was THAT bad.

Unknown said...

Don't forget Kurt and the other Warbler guy singing "Baby It's Cold Outside" in the Christmas episode! I LOVED IT!!! <3

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?