I'm back in Boston for the weekend, doing a little thing called "moving." It is fun. Not. Anyhoo.
I went to school today to check out what books I need for the semester so that I can go buy them cheaper somewhere else (booyah). I left the bookstore and proceeded to wait for the shuttle home. A ways off to my left was the marching band, practicing for the first football game.
To my right was some construction. I couldn't see it from where I was, but I could hear the banging. After a minute or so, I noticed that whoever was hammering or whatever was doing it quite rhythmically. I guessed that they were entertaining themselves, since, if you're going to be doing manual labor, you may as well make it fun, right? I remembered taking some kind of World Music class at Tufts and how our teacher played us a recording of something that sounded like Stomp - there were clearly no real instruments being used but the end product was an awesome percussiony sound. As it turned out, it was a recording taken at a post office somewhere in Africa - the workers got through their dull days by making up rhythms.
I pondered this African post office phenomenon as I bopped my head to the sound of the construction. It was then that I realized something - there was no construction. There was a drummer. Drumming. On a real instrument. And after a few seconds, he was joined by other drummers. The marching band's percussion section had apparently split off from the rest to go practice on their own.
Heh. Oops.
1 comment:
At least it made you think! Don't you love when you remember something someone taught or told you years ago? It's weird the things that stand out in your memory while others get dumped into the trash bag of time.
Post a Comment
What's on your mind?